Meles Zenawi Net Worth : $3 Billion
Former Prime Minister of Ethiopia
Source of Wealth
Years of Experience
Date of Birth
8 May 1955 (died on 20 August 2012)
Obtained a degree of MBA (Masters of Business Administration) from the Open University and degree of Masters of Science (Economics) from the Erasmus University.
Meles Zenawi’s Income & Total Net Worth
Meles Zenawi, with a net worth of $3 billion, was the Prime Minister of Ethiopia. He accumulated his net worth being a successful politician for his native country- Ethiopia. Prior to Prime Minister, he was the President of Ethiopia. He is regarded as one of the richest men in the world. He was considered to be one of the strongest men in Africa. After acquiring the position of Prime Minister, he made various changes in the country, like a multi-party political system, reduction of child mortality rates, and private press in the country. He served as the Chairman of TPLF (Tigrayan People’s Liberation Front). He was also the head of EPRDF (Ethiopian People’s Revolutionary Democratic Front). He is regarded for his efforts for the development of the citizens of Ethiopia. His net worth includes Menelik Palace, a splendid mansion in Addis Ababa.
Meles is known for his philanthropic activities. He supports Fre-Addis Ethiopia Yesetoch Merja Mahiber foundation, which is responsible to provide educational facilities to girls. The foundation shelters 514 poor and orphan rural girls and encourages them for education. He contributed $200,000 to the foundation. He was the Green Revolution award recipient for donating 200,000 dollars to the Norwegian Yara Foundation.
Properties: Private Fortune
Zenawi has a net worth of $3 billion. He is the owner of a luxurious mansion in Menelik Palace located at Addis Ababa. This palace was accommodated by the emperors of Ethiopia. The offices and residences of the prime minister are situated at Menelik palace.
Meles Zenawi’s Education & Career
Meles Zenawi was born on 8 May 1955. In 1995, he obtained a degree of MBA (Master of Business Administration) from the Open University of the United Kingdom. In 2004, he acquired a degree of Masters of Science in economics, from the Erasmus University, Netherlands. In July 2002, he attended Hannam University in South Korea and secured an honorary doctoral degree in political science. Apart from his education, he was elected to the Leadership Committee in 1979. In 1983, he became the chairman of the executive committee of the TPLF.
Awards and Achievements
- Meles was honored with multiple international awards for his contribution to the development of Ethiopia. The awards and recognition are as follows:
- World Peace Prize for creating global peace and stabilizing the Horn of Africa by cooperating with the IGAD (Inter-Governmental Authority for Development).
- Crystal Eagle International Leadership Award by Tabor 100 (an organization of African- American entrepreneur) for contributing to an economic and social transformation in Africa.
- Honored as “International Leader of the Year 2005” by a US-based private organization.
- Awarded by the Good Governance Award by US-based Corporate Council on Africa, for leading Ethiopia during the tough period of transition.
- Yara prize for Green Revolution for creating a foundation, responsible for economic progress in Ethiopia.
- Given Africa Political Leadership award by Africa Times, the US-based newspaper.