Quick Look: Animator at a Glimpse
- A professional, who creates images, videos, and two or three-dimensional models with special effects.
- Average Hourly Wages: $33.44 (According To Bureau Of Labour Statistics)
- Average Yearly Salary: $69,560 (According To Bureau Of Labour Statistics)
- Type of Service: Professional
- Tasks: Create special effects, animation, design complex graphics, design web pages, etc., using electronic tools.
Animator: An Introduction
An animator is an artist, responsible for developing images, which give an illusion of movement. They can work in several fields, like video games, television and movies. They create an animation piece, using artistic styles and frames. A team of several animators is required to develop an animation piece
How Much Does An Animator Make?
These professionals earn a good salary through their artwork. According to the Bureau of Labour Statistics, the average hourly wages for an animator is $33.44, and average annual salary is $69,560.
The salary of an animator largely depends on the industry, they serve. Here is the hourly and annual mean wages, as per the BLS.
- Software Publishers: $31.79 per hour and $66,130 per annum
- Motion Picture and Video Industries: $40.58 per hour and $84,410 per annum
- Advertising, Public Relations and Related Services: $31.10 per hour and $64,690 per annum
- Computer System Design and Related Services: $30.64 per hour and $63,730 per annum
- Specialized Design Services: $30.16 per hour and $62,730 per annum
Top Paying Industries for This Occupation
The top paying industries for this profession are:
- Motion Pictures and Video Industries: $40.58 per hour and $84,410 per annum
- Sporting Goods, Hobby, and Musical Instrument Stores: $40.57 per hour and $84,390 per annum
- Data Processing, Hosting, and Related Services: $36.50 per hour and $75,910 per annum
- Independent Artists, Writers and Performers: $35.90 per hour and $74,660 per annum
- Other Information Services: $34.91 per hour and $72,610 per annum
Salary as per Geographical Location
Animators’ salaries also vary according to the geographical location. The top paying states for this occupation, according to the bureau of labour statistics, are as follows:
- California: $40.67 per hour and $84,590 per annum
- New York: $34.60 per hour and $71,960 per annum
- District of Columbia: $34.59 per hour and $71,940 per annum
- Washington: $32.92 per hour and $68,480 per annum
- New Mexico: $32.64 per hour and $67,900 per annum
Salary as per Experience
According to payscale.com, the annual salary range of an animator is as follows:
- Less than 1 year: $30,201 – $49,665
- 1 – 4 years: $31,306 – $64,905
- 5 – 9 years: $36,776 – $82,932
- 10 – 19 years: $36,359 – $92,738
Duties and Responsibilities
These professionals perform following duties and responsibilities:
- Develop creative and complex animation and graphics.
- Create two- or three- dimensional images with special effects.
- Assemble and scan film negatives and printer’s proof.
- Formulate objects and characters by applying changes to color, light, shadow, and transparency.
- Draw storyboards and models.
- Apply editing, directing and cinematography to locate scenes and characters.
- Maintain the configuration control systems.
- Use various illustrations and software to complete the projects.
- Artistic ability
- Storytelling ability
- Technical ability
- Listening skills
- Time management skills
- Educational Requirements
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in fine arts
- Requisite certification, like 3D programming, computer graphics, etc.
The BLS anticipates eight percent growth in the employment opportunities for animators and other multimedia artists, from 2010 to 2020.